Since the Teach for America application deadline is coming up, here’s some additional encouragement to apply. Sustain Mizzou’s founder, Jared Cole, is also a Teach for America alumnus. This is his 2010 Show Me Sustainability Conference keynote presentation “Youth as the Future: Developing a Renewable Resource” about working with TFA in the Bronx. (It involves worms. Lots of worms.)
Part 1 includes:
- keys to success in creating environmental opportunities for youth (ages 10-22)
- three aims of environmental education
- an introduction to Jared’s work in a New York City elementary school
Part 2 includes:
- the effect of policies that favor testing above all else
- an introduction to the antidote to test prep culture
Part 3 includes:
- environmental opportunities in his classroom, particularly his use of worms and exploring nearby parks in New York City
Part 4 includes:
- administration involvement
- his school’s student-made “go green” video
- influences outside of the classroom.
Part 5 includes:
- Wildlife and Exploration in the Bronx
- various field trips including one to University Woods
- environmental educational opportunities and legislation
Part 6 includes:
- informal education
- how to personally be involved in environmental education
- a nod to Cole’s own mentors
Now Jared works with environmental efforts in Rwanda. Keep up with him on his blog, Rwanda on the Wing.
Here’s a notice on the upcoming TFA deadline, shared with us by Jefferson Baum, one of MU’s campus representatives:
Teach For America is the national corps of outstanding recent college graduates and professionals—of all majors, backgrounds, and career interests—who commit to teach for two years in urban and rural low-income communities and become lifelong leaders in expanding educational opportunity.
But Teach For America is more than a chance to give back, it is also one of BusinessWeek’s Top-10 places to launch a career in any field.
Right now, 8,200 corps members have begun teaching in 39 regions across the country, while over 20,000 Teach For America alumni continue working from inside and outside the field of education for the fundamental changes necessary to ensure educational excellence and equity.
Join the movement and apply to the 2011 Teach For America corps.
NEXT Application Deadline: Wednesday, October 26th, 2011
Full salary and health insurance. Federal student loans deferred.
All majors and professional experiences.
Learn more: www.teachforamerica.org/compensation
For more information contact:
Jefferson Baum— firstname.lastname@example.org