Since Steve’s article deals with meat consumption, Tina wanted to include alternative meat consumption: horses. “Dark Horse,” an article by Lisa Couturier in Orion Magazine is about kill buying in the United States. I read it last weekend on the way to Denver and can attest to its good reporting and emotional impact. Here are a few questions:
- Do you think some companies and states should reinstate slaughterhouses for horses? What would be the advantages of such a measure? The disadvantages?
- Can in-state operations at least be better regulated than those in Canada and Mexico? Is this a good enough argument for them?
- Would international laws work cross-culturally? Do we want them to?
- What do you think of this quote: “It all seems like the ultimate betrayal to a horse that likely served its owners for years and, at some point in its life, experienced human kindness.” Could we apply this to other animals?
- Keeping in mind the Willard article, do you think it’s significant that this piece was written by a woman?
The Reading and Media Group meets every Thursday at 7 p.m. in the second floor lounge of Memorial Union. New readers are always welcome.