Tim, our fearless new member, chose two articles to check out for the next meeting. He says that there are plenty more on the subject of ecological economics out there, and would love to see suggestions.
- Eaters of the dead, back to life in Cambodia – nature.com
- Does paying to protect the environment work? – CNN
Things to think about:
- How can environmental preservation become an issue for people who have no interest in preserving nature, i.e. the CEO of BP? What kind of economic incentives will make nature more than just a resource to be used up before a competitor does?
- How can environmental preservation be integrated with sustainable development in places like Rwanda and Cambodia? How can “payments for environmental services” be paid for on the international market? Would something like a cap and trade system work?
- What similarities do you notice between Silent Spring and the plight of vultures in Asia?
The Reading and Media Group meets every Thursday at 7 p.m. in the second floor lounge of Memorial Union. New readers are always welcome.